Big data can be a little confusing and a lot scary. I had a hard time understanding all of this week’s readings but there were points in each that I could grasp and so I will talk about those key areas.
The statistics that are given for what big data is now and for what it will be in 2020 are mind blowing. Each person in the year 2020 will represent 5200GB per person. I work with MBs and GBs pretty regularly, so I understand how big that really is.
It was nice to see that user created and consumed content currently represents the majority of big data with 60%. It leaves me wondering what the other 40% is and my guess is the data companies are collecting about us. It was even stated in the article that the amount of information we create about ourselves is far less than the amount of information being created about us. When I think about all the data that is out there about me, I wonder about the size of my file.
Another scary part of big data is the amount of unprotected data out there. Companies that are making profiles of people might not be doing their due diligence when it comes to keeping that information safe. While security technology will only get better, hackers will continue to keep up with the pace.
The article from McKinsey & Company gave a lot of generalizations of how big data could be used successfully but I didn’t understand many. I wish they would’ve given examples to help put their ideas into context. The one area that stood out to me was how employers could better track their employees. It would be beneficial for companies to track social media usage at work to see how it hinders productivity.
The one thing big data is dependent on is talent to successfully manage and analyze the data. When it comes to big data and the LPGA, there’s an area where we could benefit from tracking and analyzing big data. One a weekly basis at our tournaments we collect all sorts of stats about our players playing golf. We have a way to store the data and present it online in very simple forms. What we don’t have is a way to analyze it and compare it against other data to show some cool statistics to our fans and our players about their performance. That final piece of the puzzle takes employee resources and a large budget and we’re just not there yet.
– Do your employers track your internet usages? Do they allow you to visit social media sites while on the company network?
– Do you know of a way your company uses big data it collects or another company collects and they purchase?